Monday, October 20, 2008

Hope and shame

After feeling pummeled by the innumerable blue and white signs touting McCain/Palin, I started feeling like we were going to have yet another four years of denied access, unconstitutional wiretaps, and bad government. I wasn't in the mood for company, but my husband and I invited over an elderly couple to join us for supper. They are wonderful neighbors, and Jack has been recently diagnosed with liver cancer. After everyone had their cocktails, we ventured into the discussion of politics (an easy feat since political ads have overrun the airwaves in NC). The older gentleman, a WWII veteran, confessed he'd been a Republican his whole life. His parents had been Republicans. He'd always supported the Republican party.

However, this year, he's thinking of voting Democrat. He doesn't like the direction the country is heading. He doesn't like how we have lost respect around the world. He doesn't like how the Republican party is running/ruining McCain's campaign. And he likes the optimism the Obama campaign offers the nation. He'd like to see the USA stand for integrity and freedom once again -- like it did when he was fighting in Europe as a young man. For the first time in his adult life, this man will enter the voting booth and vote Democrat.

What hope his words brought to me. Despite all the signs and bumper stickers, I now know that there are many more people who think like I do. And shame on me for thinking I knew how he was going to vote. Shame on me for creating a stereotype. And shame on me for doubting that hope would win this time.

No comments: