Friday, July 24, 2009

Mom jeans and important things

Just when I think Americans cannot fall any further into the shallow end of the thought pool, I am astoundingly surprised at their priorities. Recently, President Obama threw out the first pitch at a baseball game. I saw it on the news. But not being a sports fan, I cannot tell you for what team or in what field. I just noticed that he stood on the pitcher's mound and made it over the plate. For anyone who has never stood on the pitcher's mound, let me assure you that it's no small feat to throw a good pitch that far. Okay, it's difficult to even get a bad pitch that far. I was impressed, and posted another mental post-it for why I should never be president.

Then, a few days later, I read on the internet that President Obama is being criticized for the blue jeans he wore while at the ball game. The pants have been dubbed "mom jeans" for their lack of tightness, lack of indigo color, and lack of style. Really? This is where we, as a country, should be focusing our presidential priorities?

If you have a problem with his healthcare agenda, state your argument. (And no, calling it socialized medicine is NOT an argument. ) If you don't like his cabinet picks, state your reasons. If you don't like the way he is handling the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, speak your mind but just make sure you understand that he didn't start either.

But his jeans? At a ballgame? This is where the important argument lies? Folks, this is why the rest of the world makes fun of us. We provide them the fodder.

But since this is apparently where the argument is going against Obama, let me defend him. I saw the jeans. I went back and viewed the jeans again. They are perfectly acceptable jeans! No, they aren't skintight and I'm glad for it. I don't need to see anymore poster children for breath-reducing fashion. They didn't cost $500 and the same crowd would be upset with him if they were. They are the right pants for a middle-aged straight man who likes his comfort. They're a little worn, a little loose, even a little frumpy. Perfect.

So for all those people who can find no other way to demean our president I have only one thing to say -- get off his ass, literally.

No comments: